Great Gatsby!

Happy New Year (A bit late,)

I was informed a while ago that my best friends birthday party was to be Gatsby-esque, and I originally wasn’t going to make anything… however, when confronted with a lab report and an empty flat… well, I decided I would enjoy myself so much more by making a 1920’s style dress! So I did some research, hoping that I wouldn’t have to put copious amounts of sequins on because I had about 48 in total, plus an essay to write.ย 

1920's inspiration

Inspiration from the black and white pictures from google

Inspiration from the black and white pictures from google

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I ended up digging around in my fabric stores, being rewarded for my troubles with about 3 metres of cream polycotton and some peachy coloured pink translucent stuff my sister insisted I buy from the bargain bucket because it was a pretty colour that, while a bit jagged round the edges, would fit perfectly! Procrastination method set!

I was a bit worried about how I would pattern the dress, as, while the straight edges from chest to md calves would be relatively simple, I haven’t the best track record with the bodice and shoulders section of garments. And all the patterns I had were too structured, or in three different parts. Then I stumbled across my first ever pattern, a lisette K2059 free in Sew Magazine a few years ago. The first thing I ever made, handsewn using bias binding and light material better suited to a summer nightie than anything else, was the dress on the cover. And I figured that the line from shoulder to hip was just about right and I could just sew a separate skirt piece on! It was perfect! A simple, easy, two piece pattern. Easy to cut, easy to sew.

The Lisette pattern I used, from my Sew Magaizine. Image from Google

The Lisette pattern I used, from my Sew Magaizine. Image from Google

 

So, main body done, the skirt was easy. I had simply folded the remaining fabric widthwise, so I had two separate layers of skirt, hemmed each length, then cut the doubled over length to the right size for a completely straight skirt.

The voile was cut in half, then rotated lengthways, the width was perfect for the width of the dress, so I tacked it to create a straight high neckline at the front and a slight (although it ended up being barely noticeable) dropped neckline at the back. It almost looks grecian in my opinion.

Tie on a gold sash around the hips, pop on some little grey heels, a pink hairband to hold my curls in place, lots of pearls and voila! I was wandering round my friends flat looking suitably twenties. For authenticity, I made the skirt actually mid calf as opposed to above the knee.

20140110_222708

I think it took me about 5 hours from start to finish? Maybe six. A quick project in my opinion but that might have something more to do with the fact there were only two pattern pieces to tac and cut!

I must just say though, that style of skirt, almost a hobble skirt, they are incredibly incontinent if you need to be somewhere fast!

Happy Sewing!

Bea

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s