Green Pencil Skirt

A very long time ago (how it feels at the moment!) I received a free Simple Sew pencil skirt and tie blouse with my Love Sewing magazine. I made up the blouse a while back, the article can be found here.

I know I said I wasn’t going to be making anything over the next few weeks…. but… I lied… a few weeks ago, I went to the Hobbycraft dressmaking fair at the NEC where I bought about 2m of a lovely green fabric from one of the vintage stands (as well as some lime polka dot cotton and some pink and orange tweed). I bought it on impulse, thinking the wasn’t as much as there is. And when I got home and checked the drape, decided I should add it to my pencil skirt collection 🙂

I think I may have a bit of a thing for pencil skirts….

IMG_8301

IMG_8303

I kind of go stir crazy when I haven’t got a definitive project on the go, so I decided that this would be a Non-Priority Project to cure itchy fingers during my revision period.

The only issue I had was the sizing, I measure myself and, once again, came out as a 12, so I cut a twelve and found I had about an inch and a half either side. So I decided to try French Seams for the first time, and making the inside as neat as the outside. The fabric isn’t bulky so I trimmed the sides down and have a half inch french seams.
IMG_8283
I’m not going to lie, in the words of Paddy Grant, the darts went for a wander. I accidentally messed up, and figured I’d just deepen the darts because my hip waist proportions generally mean I have to deepen darts anyway. Except, they kind ran away with me…. I didn’t want to unpick two lines of machine stitching so I just left it, hoping its symmetrical enough to look deliberate.

I machine stitched the zip and down the back, but I didn’t overlap the zip until the very end when I was fixing down the hem because I couldn’t get the skirt to zip up on Mabel with the pins in.

IMG_8284

IMG_8287

Turned up the hem a cm, and machine stitched it into place before pressing and turning the hem up another cm (most of the way round) and adjusted until the hem was completely level. I then handstitched the hem into place because the green thread I was using didn’t quite match enough. Pressed the hem and voila! I think it looks pretty neat from the top.

IMG_8288

Finished up by stitching the hem into place by folding the waistband over in half and handfixing along the seam line for the front of the waistband.
I apologise for all the creases on the skirt while on the mannequin, I did press it several times! Think it might be because I folded the fabric quite soon after washing it, then left it a wee while… Hoping the creases come out in the wash next!
It actually took me about two weeks between finishing and posting to actually get some pictures, because wearing a pencil skirt when you practically live curled up on a chair in the library isn’t all that comfortable!

I also bought a load of pink Linton tweed at the fair, so one of my next projects is going to be a pink tweed pencil suit A La Jackie O! When I finish my exams and the play of course…

Bye! Bea

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s