I always aim to make something for the Monthly Stitch co-operative, but rarely find the time to actually make something! Luckily, ‘Indie Pattern Month’ coincides quite perfectly with some things I have been planning to make since the Sewing For pleasure show a few months ago! The first week of the month is dresses!
At the sewing for pleasure, I bought about 2m of some light green polka dot cotton, and later a white invisible zips. My plan was always to make ‘one of those dresses where there are two bodices, one that is really loose and one so you don’t expose yourself’ (an extremely technical description of course!) that I now know to be called a ‘floating bodice’.
Then, like it was just meant to be, the Sew Simple pattern with issue 13 Love Sewing Magazine was, lo and behold, exactly what I had been looking for!!
So as soon as my exams were done, I celebrated by cutting the fabric, but had to wait a while to finish because I forgot I had to make a ball dress (being posted as soon as I have uploaded the photos!). So, I made, pressed and photographed my dress today!
I cut a size 12 for ease of wear around the bust, but ended up just making an all over 12 rather than taking in the hips like I usually do. I didn’t follow the instructions included in the pattern beyond the first few steps because they didn’t seem like the logical progression to me!
To affix the floating part of the bodice to the dress, you have to fold the back edges into the dart before stitching into place. I thought I had managed quite successfully until I was fixing the zips and saw that the last two inches of one side hadn’t been fixed! So I unpacked a little of the dart, enough to slot the bodice back together and restitch. This was the biggest problem I faced. But you can’t tell which side I had to reset! So I’m very happy.
After fixing the floating to the bodice, I attached the facing (somewhat sloppily I will admit), seamed the two long sides, then the floating bodice sleeves together, turned it all inside out and fixed an invisible zips. Then, neatening up, hemming, and pressing (there is a rather stubborn crease down the centre of the dress from where the material was folded after it had dried. I’m hoping it comes out in the wash next time) and good to go!
I think the pattern is quite easy, however, I didn’t much like the instructions!
The hips are a little too wide, and to make the dress look more professional, I probably should have taken the skirt in a little more. However, I wanted this to be a summer dress, and so I left it looser so I can move freely while on holiday and the like! Overall, I am very excited to take this new dress for a spin!! Especially seeing as the weather is so gloriously sunny at the moment.